We are proud to announce that 17 adults from across our County have been recognised by our Chief Scout and been awarded a St George’s Day Award. Baden Powell chose St George to be the Patron Saint of Scouting. St George embodied the qualities to which he wanted Scouts to aspire: Faith, Bravery and Determination. St George’s Day is celebrated on 23rd April each year and is an important day in the Scouting calendar where adults can be recognised with good service awards.
Each of the individuals below will be invited to Windsor Castle on 22nd April to celebrate their achievements along with many other adult leaders and young people.
A Day of Celebration and Achievement at Windsor
In recognition of specially distinguished service. The Silver Acorn was first introduced as a St George’s Day award in 1933.
Arundel & Littlehampton
Bar to the Silver Acorn
In recognition of further specially distinguished service The Bar to the Silver Acorn can only be awarded after a Silver Acorn has been gained
In recognition of services to Scouting of the most exceptional nature. The Silver Wolf award was introduced by Lord Baden-Powell and remains the Scout Association’s highest award for service to Scouting. The Silver Wolf is the unrestricted gift of the Chief Scout and is only award ‘for service of an exception nature
We are so proud of the achievements of our adult leaders and I’m sure you will all join us in congratulating them on those achievements. If you feel there is someone you know within Scouting that should be recognised for their excellent service to the Scouting Movement see here for guidance from the County’s Awards Panel.
Over the weekend of Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd October over 15 members of Worthing District shooting squad and over 40 members from Crawley District shooting squad took part in the 41st National Scout Shooting Championships at Bisley. The event is held every year and approx. 800 shooters from across the UK take part in a large number of shooting events including:-
- Air Pistol
- Air Rifle
- Field Target
- Small Bore
- Full Bore
- Own Pistol and Rifle
- 10m Sporter and 3 Position
- Target Sprint
This Year the squads were successful in bring back some silverware.
Crawley District was very successful with 14 Medals and Trophies being won.
- Chloe Hemmings – 3rd in Small Bore
- Liam Spriggs – 3rd in Small Bore
- Zac Larkham – 3rd in Small Bore Under 18
- Connaugh Launchbury – 2nd in Full Bore
- Peter Raine – 2nd in Full Bore
- Paul Carruthers – 1st in Full Bore
- Frankie Hampton – 1st Junior Knockout (maintaining the title in the district for the 2nd year from Finn Bereen!)
- Harley Raine – 3rd in 3P
- Liam Spriggs – 3rd in Senior Field Target
- Robert Hull – 2nd in Senior Field Target
- Amber Bereen – 1st in Junior 6yrd Rifle
- Liam Spriggs – 1st in Senior 6yrd Rifle
- Zac Larkham – 3rd in Team Field Target
- Ben Piggott, Connaugh Launchbury, Liam Spriggs – 3rd in Senior Connaught Team
- Max Dandeker-Bourne from Blake explorers picked up Under 18 X Class prone rifle championship Trophy
- Second overall in Small Bore (.22 Rifle)
- Max and Dion Pragnell also from Blake explorers picked up Bronze in the target sprint team award.
Saturday 13th May 2017
10am to 1pm
Tilgate Lake, Crawley
Kent Canoes are bringing a fleet of boats over for us to try.
These could be for personal or group use.
Come and try some boats out and talk to staff from this Scout friendly shop. You do not need to be looking to purchase straight away but it is a good way to help with budgeting for new equipment.
If you have any specific craft you want to try out please let Mark know below.
This even is open to adult members of West Sussex Scouting (no under 18’s due to safeguarding and permit issues).
There is a pay and display car park
There are changing rooms at the lake, but no other facilities, please bring any food or drink with you.
Although not essential, it would be good if you let us know if you are attending so we can have some idea of numbers and timing.