Over the weekend of Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd October over 15 members of Worthing District shooting squad and over 40 members from Crawley District shooting squad took part in the 41st National Scout Shooting Championships at Bisley. The event is held every year and approx. 800 shooters from across the UK take part in a large number of shooting events including:-
- Air Pistol
- Air Rifle
- Field Target
- Small Bore
- Full Bore
- Own Pistol and Rifle
- 10m Sporter and 3 Position
- Target Sprint
This Year the squads were successful in bring back some silverware.
Crawley District was very successful with 14 Medals and Trophies being won.
- Chloe Hemmings – 3rd in Small Bore
- Liam Spriggs – 3rd in Small Bore
- Zac Larkham – 3rd in Small Bore Under 18
- Connaugh Launchbury – 2nd in Full Bore
- Peter Raine – 2nd in Full Bore
- Paul Carruthers – 1st in Full Bore
- Frankie Hampton – 1st Junior Knockout (maintaining the title in the district for the 2nd year from Finn Bereen!)
- Harley Raine – 3rd in 3P
- Liam Spriggs – 3rd in Senior Field Target
- Robert Hull – 2nd in Senior Field Target
- Amber Bereen – 1st in Junior 6yrd Rifle
- Liam Spriggs – 1st in Senior 6yrd Rifle
- Zac Larkham – 3rd in Team Field Target
- Ben Piggott, Connaugh Launchbury, Liam Spriggs – 3rd in Senior Connaught Team
- Max Dandeker-Bourne from Blake explorers picked up Under 18 X Class prone rifle championship Trophy
- Second overall in Small Bore (.22 Rifle)
- Max and Dion Pragnell also from Blake explorers picked up Bronze in the target sprint team award.
Following a tough application process, twenty adult leaders were invited to attend a weekend selection camp at Lodge Hill over the weekend 23rd – 24th September. During the course of the weekend each leaders was assessed in their Young Person Interaction Skills, Leadership, Team Work, Communication, Adaptability, Working when tired. Assessing these areas the selection team were able to choose leaders who would be the best fit for taking a group of our young people abroad representing West Sussex Scouts at the 24th World Scout Jamboree, USA, 2019
A group of Young People from across the County were also invited along to the weekend camp to aid this selection process, where they were split into two groups and each leader had to provide a 10 – 15 minute activity. This provided us with the opportunity to get feedback from a young persons point of view as to which leaders were most interacting and engaging. Three of these young people have applied to be part of the 2019 contingent, the other three have applied to be part of Roverway 2018.
We are pleased to announce the below leaders:
Peter Few – Unit Leader (East Grinstead)
Sophia Wilks (Adur Valley)
Michael Priest (Worthing & CYC)
Rachael Grantham (Chichester)
Vicki Prince – Unit Leader (Crawley)
Ann Hudgell (Worthing)
Sean Edwards (Crawley)
Cara Drake (Horsham)
Gerald (ACC International) would like to thank all those involved in the selection process, who were;
A big thank you go to the SEAT team of Neil, Paul , Craig, Tony & Graham who kept the selection weekend running so that the selection team could focus on the selection side of things.
I hope you will all wish the eight successful leaders well and support them throughout the next two years.
The County Hill Walking Team invite you to join them in South Wales for a Weekend of Hill Walking and/or training on the weekend of the 11th & 12th November 2107.
During the weekend you will have the opportunity to be assessed for a Hill Walking Authorisation or you could just come along to add another couple of Quality Mountain Days to your log book.
We will be based at the Cynon Valley Cottage near Merthyr Tydfil and the cost will be £40.00 to include accommodation and food.
Please contact Dave Hatton below for further information.